Magic Blondie Bars
Updated: Apr 7, 2021
Soft and chewy with a crunch meets sweet and salty, these Magic Blondie Bars are a hazy late night munchie-induced mashup of two classic desserts. I love a good blondie but it’s just a big soft cookie brownie. I also love Magic Seven Layer Bars with the sticky sweet condensed milk and chunks of chocolate and butterscotch chips.
This is a chunky dessert bar that mashes together chocolate chip cookie dough, pretzels, cornflakes, nut butter condensed milk, coconut, and chocolate Easter egg candy. Why not just make a Magic 7 Layer Bar (also called Hello Dollys) you ask? I wanted to use pretzels for that salty sweet combo, but after testing several batches it was just too dry and crumbly. The pretzel crust wasn’t happening. My mouth hurt when eating them. I wanted something soft yet full of texture and not overly sweet. And so the Magic Blondie Bar mashup was born! Cloudy Kitchen makes a similar classic Magic Bar version using a shortbread base with hazelnuts.
Want to BUY these instead of make these? Baking With Chickens is doing an Easter Collab with Very Best Cookies in the Whole Wide World in April -- Limited Time Only (pickup and delivery in Los Angeles area, and U.S. shipping available)
Ingredients & Substitutes
The best part about this recipe is that you can mix and match with whatever ingredients fuel your late night snack cravings. Peanut Butter & Jam? Banana Bacon Peanut Butter? Fluffernutter? Trail Mix? Dream it and mix it up!
Dairy-Free: sub condensed milk with coconut condensed milk, sub butter with a vegan butter
Nut-Free: omit nut butter or sub with sunbutter
Gluten-Free: sub flour and pretzels with gluten-free versions
Chocolate & Candies: swap out chocolate chips with with peanut butter chips, toffee bits, different types of chocolate candies,
Cannabis-infused version of this recipe is featured on LEVO.com. Use my LEVO affiliate link to buy and get a 10% discount.
When you buy stuff using my affiliate links I may make a commission. ok? thank you.
Get the Recipe
Magic Blondie Bars
A sweet and salty mashup of chocolate chip blondie dough mixed with corn flakes and pretzels, and Magic Seven Layer Bars on top with nutty sweetened condensed milk, coconut and milk chocolate easter egg candy. This is a softer, sweet and salty version of a 7 Layer Bar.
Time to Prepare: 50 minutes
Makes nine (9) large three-inch bars per batch in a 9x9 square pan
1 1/2 cup (200g) all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon (3g) baking soda
1/4 teaspoon (1g) baking powder
1/2 teaspoon (3g) coarse salt
1/2 cup/1 stick (113g) unsalted butter, room temp
1/4 cup (50g) white granulated sugar
1/2 cup (85g) light brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup (75g) chocolate chips/chunks
1 cup (45g) corn flakes cereal
1 cup (50g) crushed mini pretzels
1/2 cup (45g) sweetened shredded coconut
1/2 can (7oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon (20g) natural peanut butter or almond butter
1 cup (195g) Cadbury Milk Chocolate Easter Egg Candy
Flaky sea salt - for finishing
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x9 square baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter, white and brown sugars on medium speed until fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla extract, mix until well blended. Dough will look smooth like thick batter.
4. Turn the mixer to low, and slowly add the flour mixture just until combined and no white streaks remain. Using a spatula, stir in the chocolate chips, ½ cup of corn flakes, and ½ cup of crushed pretzels.
5. Press the cookie batter into the bottom of a parchment lined square pan until it fills the pan and is evenly spread.
6. Stir together the sweetened condensed milk and natural peanut butter. Pour the mixture on top of the cookie batter in the baking pan.
7. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of corn flakes, ½ cup crushed pretzels, and ½ cup shredded coconut on top of the condensed milk mixture. Press down lightly to adhere the toppings to the condensed milk layer. Evenly sprinkle the Cadbury Milk Chocolate Egg candies on top of the shredded coconut and press down lightly.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until the shredded coconut has lightly browned on top and the edges of the cookie are golden brown. The condensed milk mixture may look bubbly under the coconut and between the egg candies.
9. Cool in the baking pan for 10 minutes, then lift out of the pan using the parchment paper and place onto a baking rack to cool completely. Cut into 9 squares and store covered in a cool, dry place.
Subscribe to Baking with Chickens on YouTube for new episodes and more hilarious chicken content.
Amazon link where I buy many of my ingredients & cookware:https://amzn.to/2HOrcym